Thursday, October 1, 2009

Am I Becoming More Mature?

As I grow older day by day, I become more mature physically and mentally. My body changes in structure, my muscles begin to form, and my mind continues to acquire and accumulate more knowledge. I begin to see with a wider perspective. However, there is one area of my being human that I somehow have forgotten to pay attention to – my emotions.

To develop good relationships with others is, first, to take care of our own emotions, to be responsible for our own actions in total freedom and choice. There is no need to be afraid or shy about how we feel. But, we have to make sure that we express it in the right place and time, and with the right person involved. Second, it is good for us not to allow ourselves to be affected by the feelings of others and our own past, especially negative experiences. They say “Experience is the best teacher”; we can all learn from our own experiences and those of others. We can also remember that “Pain is the teacher from whom we can learn much”. These are hard lessons in life, and our negative experiences are meant to help us develop a more positive outlook in life. We can learn from them so that we do not commit the same mistakes in life again and again.

Rodrigo Babiera, Jr., Philippines
IFFAsia


You can read Rod's full reflections, and other related articles in Asian Hearts Speak - Sept 2009.

1 comment:

  1. it takes a lot of humility to listen to your emotions. this is a good start. perhaps it may be helpful to know that e stands for energy. Emotions are energies that propel us to act and behave. human growth hastens when the person is able to befirend his or her emotions. great discovery.

    ReplyDelete