Thursday, October 1, 2009

Intercultural Sensitivity

If I want to live well with others, I must know and learn to appreciate, accept and understand other people’s cultures and way of life. This means that I myself must understand my own culture. I must know what are life-giving and death-dealing elements/aspects of my own culture. Only then can I learn from others and help others learn from me. Therefore, the art of understanding others becomes very important in any situation because everyone wants to be understood and it is extremely important for us to know others’ culture. It is necessary and a must!

We must see the whole world and open our heart to everyone and everywhere. Unfortunately, every country also can not avoid bad practices like corruption. We can correct ourselves from this shortcoming. These negative elements can improve our own culture. You can help by avoiding falling in the same situation. If you feel something is not right about what is being done or asked of you, you can stand by your principles by doing what is right. Even though different cultures or countries have different ways of life, they all have common ground – Love. Love is for the whole world. Nobody can understand this world without it. Love can deal with anything. To love and to be loved is what matters. That’s what we stand for as Christians, and humanity, for the world!

Lina Han, China
IFFAsia


You can read Lina's full reflections, and other related articles in Asian Hearts Speak - Sept 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment