Saturday, March 5, 2011

Packed Lunch Of Love

It’s time to have breakfast! I immediately went to the dining hall to feed my hungry tummy, and I notice the table with small containers and with food inside. I was wondering for what and for who is that food, so I tried to know the answer. And to my surprise this small container is for us, for our lunch for our travel going to Sandakan prepared by the 2 cook aunty Alice and aunty Regina.

What touched me most is that, they didn’t attend the mass at 6:00 am and they woke up early just to prepare our food for lunch and breakfast. Knowing this all, I cannot stop myself but to be amazed for their love and care for us even we are totally strangers. And I ask myself, can I be like them who will sacrifice their time just to prepare ‘something’ for strangers?

After I take my breakfast, Yvonne (foster sister of us) came with a plastic of food and she asked us to bring the food back to our families when we back to our own countries. She wished us all a safe trip and she also made sure that we will meet again, perhaps during our sent off ceremony or some day in our own countries.

Yvonne also promised that she will be there whenever we need her. I am touched on how she showed her love to us as her younger sisters even in a very short time. I can feel her love and care for us, until now that we are far from her, she’s still communicating with us. And again I ask myself, can I be like her who will love the stranger in a very short time only? Or I will just say I love you and then finish?

Time to go; everybody is saying goodbyes for all the people in the retreat house, for the cooks, for the community there. Going out from the retreat house, we saw Aunty Maria Kuntiou the PPC chairman of the diocese came with a small box of Pandesal (bread) for all of us. Our foster mother came to the bus station to say goodbye and she gave us one whole plastic of bread and cake. She told us that the food is for everyone so that we will not be hungry in our long journey.

Inside the bus I was trying to control my tear, especially when the bus started to leave, I was trying not to cry. I can see in my own eyes and in the eyes of my heart how these people, even in a very short time, shown their love to us. They teach me how to welcome, to be hospitable, to care, to accept, to learn & to love the strangers.

Dear God, I pray for this gentle, loveable and caring people who welcomed us in their homes, who lend their time to prepare food for us, who accompany and journey with is in our stay in Keningau. May you continue to bless them and guide them in their everyday life. Thank you for allowing us to meet them and you through them. Amen

By Ferly, Philippines

IFFAsia Student Batch 2010-2011

No comments:

Post a Comment