Monday, June 6, 2011

A Courtship with God


“How beautiful you are my love, how very beautiful!” (Song of Solomon 4:1)

This is my Bible text for the year. God is affirming my beauty as a person. Letting me know that I am His beloved. Saying that I am special, a gift that needs to be opened for others.

As I finished my Basic Formation at IFFAsia, the most crucial part was my discernment, where I needed to decide which path I will choose in line with His will for me. I had three choices in front of me: 1) to be an intern at IFFAsia; 2) to serve in the Youth Development Center (YDC), a social development project of Fondacio Philippines for the youth of Payatas; and 3) to be part of the Youth Ministry in Ina ng Lupang Pangako Parish in Payatas.

It had been two months of discernment. Last January, God opened the door of the Youth Ministry while we were having our Youth Ministry Module. I saw the advantages if I choose to work there. I can apply what I learned, stay closer to my family and it will challenge me. It is certainly a place to grow.

Last January 17, 2011, we went to Sabah, Malaysia, for our one-month Mission Project. In the Diocese of Keningau, God opened another door, the path to YDC. It was a very clear message. While doing mission in YDC, I will be able to stay, and spend more time, with my family, and do mission there also. This message convinced me and I decided to choose YDC.

I went to the Adoration Chapel in the Tatal Retreat House in Keningau where we were staying. I prayed fervently for my choice, asking for His guidance and listening for His answer. In silence, the word IFFAsia appeared vividly in my vision. I was so sad and refused to accept this answer. I was worried that I may not be able to do my mission in my family if I chose to be in IFFAsia because I will have to stay there 24/7. I can only go home once a week. It has been very difficult for me to answer this call.

As we continued our journey in the Diocese of Sandakan, the eastern region of Sabah, I was struggling to accept my new mission. I needed to ask signs from Him to make sure that this is what He wanted for me. And he showed me many signs from other people, so I continued praying about it until our closing retreat back in the Philippines. I was able to see the reasons why I needed to be an intern in IFFAsia. I’m still halfway into my personal transformation, and I needed to continue my love story with God. I know IFFAsia is the right place to help me through this. I also need to improve my social and pastoral skills and to know Him deeper as I grow in my faith.

As I say “YES” again to His call, I will continue my love story with Him as He proposes to court me this year. This is a year of getting to know Him more deeply and accepting the love He offers me despite my own limitations. It is a time to let His love flow. As I journey as an intern in IFFAsia, I will let my heart be filled with His love and share this with others.

Aleona (left), with Roselinah and Chieko

Aleona Natalio, from Payatas, Philippines, was part of Batch 5 of the Basic Formation Program at IFFAsia last year. This year, she committed to a two-year internship at the Institute. Here, she writes about her reflection on the discernment she made to say “yes” to this call of God for her life today.

No comments:

Post a Comment