Saturday, December 5, 2009

Come Together, Share the Word, Live the Eucharist

A Reflection on the Asian Youth Day 2009

During the Days in the Diocese in Kalookan, a wonderful and beautiful opening mass was presided by Bishop Deogracias Yniguez. In his homily, he mentioned a few important points: chosen, learn, see beyond, personal growth, enthusiasm, youth needing company / a group coming together. These words touched my heart and brought me closer to the heart of God. And they were important also because I realized that my heart was awakening from this point onwards to yield to God’s words. It seems I have been away from God; I only just seek out my interest rather than God’s will, even though I am in the mission field.

On the first day of AYD, I saw the local citizens standing at the roadside and dancing to welcome us. With fireworks in the sky, all the AYD delegates, and the many bishops and priests, gathered at the Imus Cathedral for the opening ceremony and the celebration of the mass. It was such a significant moment for me, even though I had to sit on the floor (and disliked the fact that there were only two toilets in the area!). Bishop Tagle, who presided the mass, said that he was once touched when Pope John Paul II told him that Jesus, Mary, Moses… all came from Asia. It is a time now for Asia to lead the spiritual movement in the world. I liked the presentation of a little blind girl; she had a wonderful voice, and she said that all are in a JOURNEY OF THE HEART. I fully agreed with what she said, about being rather than doing.

I liked the morning prayer – the sharing of rice with one another. Bishop Dominic shared that THE EUCHARIST IS THE GIFT THAT JESUS REVEALED TO US, THE EUCHARIST FORMS THE CHURCH; JESUS IS THE FOOD OF THE JOURNEY. I liked these sentences the most – GOD IS RICE; HEAVEN IS RICE. THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN THE EUCHARIST AND THE COSMOS IS LIKE BREAD & WINE; AND THE EUCHARIST HELPS US TO SEE THE UNITY OF GOD’S PLAN. While sharing with Fr. Frans from Indonesia and Ruth from the Philippines, I realized that my selfishness is not easy to let go. GOD IS RICE, and rice is for everybody. But I just look for those who are Catholic or who I feel comfortable with. I hope that this realization can motivate me to do something new towards my life’s direction.

The Pope’s message to us was “DO WHATEVER HE TELLS YOU". These were words from the scripture of the wedding at Cana. When Mary said YES to Jesus, MARY EXPRESSED HER JOY, TRUST, AND HARMONY WITH HIS WILL; SHE NEVER SAID NO. Standing up during Jesus’ trial, Mary showed us how. To be intimate with Mary, then, is to decide to say YES. I thank God for this message and for giving me a model to follow.

Another significant moment for me was when I saw Bishop Tagle shed tears in front of us. He thanked those volunteers who helped in the event. I witnessed a humble care and love from him.

Although the events made me tired because of lack of sleep, I thank God who gave me the chance to witness 4,000 youth and volunteers come together to sing and dance, and hand in hand say OUR FATHER. It was such a beautiful and touching moment for me; it gave me much hope for the future. I am happy also to have the chance once again to meet my fellow graduates of IFFAsia. It was like encountering the spirit of TOGETHERNESS. When I saw Vian, Nga, Ngui, Toeur, Sophal, Mary, Nestor, Alice, Chieko, Wilfred, Zack, Lucy and some students from the 4th batch, I felt the spirit jumping in my heart. I believe that there is something more for us in this encounter, especially for myself. I long once again for all of us to COME TOGETHER, SHARE THE WORD, LIVE THE EUCHARIST IN COMMUNITY.

Sometimes I ask God how much of the impact or fruits of the event will the youth bring back to their countries. Will these give influence to the youth? But, I believe that the first part of the theme - COME TOGETHER - means a lot from the beginning. For the rest of the theme, God will move and touch the hearts which are thirsty for HIM.

I thank God for allowing me to witness and take part in this wonderful event. I received marvelous graces from God through the youth. I also thank Him that I witnessed HIS LOVE for the youth of Asia.


Mag Chin
Fondacio Malaysia


For more information, please visit the official website of the latest Asian Youth Day 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment